What is Cloud Backup? This is its Definition and Benefits
When storing sensitive data such as credit card and login information, most organizations use remote data centers hosting dozens of servers for storage. Usually, this data center is vulnerable to natural disasters, such as tornadoes and hurricanes.
Cybercriminals can also hack into remote data centers and compromise critical customer data. If this happens, your company can be sued for damages. To always keep sensitive data safe and accessible, implementing cloud backup is the key.
What is Cloud Backup?
Cloud backup, which is sometimes also known as online backup or remote backup, is a process where data is copied and stored on a cloud-based server. When you save your data to the cloud, it means that you have made copies of that data on one or more remote servers, and these servers are managed by a third-party cloud service provider. Typically, cloud service providers set rates based on factors such as the amount of storage or server space required, available server bandwidth, and the number of users accessing those servers.
How Does Cloud Backup Work?
Cloud backup works by duplicating company data to a cloud-based server. This process can be done by two methods:
- Continuous Replication: In this method, the cloud provider will copy your company’s data to its server as data changes occur. This is the most common type of cloud backup and is used by companies that need an up-to-date copy of their data.
- Scheduled Replication: With this method, the cloud provider will copy your company data based on a specific schedule. This method is often used by companies that don’t need an up-to-date copy of data all the time. After your company data is duplicated to the cloud, it can be accessed from anywhere in the world as long as there is an internet connection.
How Does Cloud Backup Reduce the Risk of Cyber Attacks?
Cloud backup can help reduce the risk of cyberattacks in two ways:
- Fast Data Recovery: Cloud backup can help you recover company data quickly if it is compromised, because cloud providers maintain multiple copies of your data on different servers. If one server is compromised, you can still access your data from other servers.
- Recovery from Ransomware: Ransomware is a type of malware that encrypts your company data and holds it as a “ransom” until you pay a certain amount. With cloud backup, you can easily restore your company data from the cloud without paying a ransom.
What are the Types of Cloud Backup Methods?
It’s not difficult to implement a cloud backup. There are two main ways to get started:
- Backup-as-a-Service (BaaS): With BaaS, a cloud service provider manages your company’s backups. You only need to connect to the cloud provider’s server to start storing your data.
- Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS): In PaaS, the cloud service provider gives you a platform that you can use to store and manage your company’s backups. This method is often used by companies that want more control over their backups.
What are the Benefits of Cloud Backup?
There are many advantages offered by cloud backup, including:
- High Availability: By duplicating your company data to a cloud-based server, you ensure that a copy of the data is always available. For example, virtual machine (VM) backup in the cloud will provide crucial VM availability and protection in the event of unexpected downtime.
- Cost Reduction: By using the cloud for backup, you leverage the cloud service provider’s hardware infrastructure, which can significantly reduce your company’s IT costs.
- High Scalability: Cloud is a scalable platform, meaning you can add or reduce resources as needed, making it an ideal solution for businesses that experience periodic spikes in demand.
- Enhanced Security: The cloud is a secure platform and offers multiple layers of security protection, which is critical for businesses storing sensitive data.
- Better Disaster Recovery: By using the cloud for disaster recovery, you can restore your company’s data quickly and easily when a disaster strikes. In fact, cloud backup can help you prevent data loss.
Cloud Backup and Disaster Recovery Services from Vidia Cloud
In today’s digital era, data security and recovery is a top priority for every company. Cloud Backup and Disaster Recovery services from Vidia Cloud offer reliable solutions to ensure your data is always safe and can be recovered at any time. With leading technology and reliable support, Vidia Cloud bridges your business needs in maintaining the integrity and sustainability of important information. For more information and to get the best solution for your company, visit Vidia Cloud Backup Solutions. Invest in the security and future of your business today.